Friday's Fabulous Find


Musee Carnavalet, once the private residence of the famous letter writer, Madame de Sevigne, is my favorite museum in Paris. The building has changed very little since Madame de Sevigne was in residence and it is a delight to retrace her steps. As I strolled through the large hallways, walked down the wide circular staircase, and explored the grand rooms, I could very well imagine life in the era of Louis XIV.

The Museum also houses one of the most impressive collections of Revolutionary artifacts. Pamphlets, flags, furniture, sketches and paintings from that turbulent time are on display. One room, within the labyrinth of rooms that make up this museum, stands out among the rest: The Marie Antoinette Room. This is where I first saw a lock of hair that once graced the head of my idol, Marie Antoinette. A mélange of emotions washed over me as I saw that tiny, curl of hair, a very tangible piece of evidence that she once lived. The lighting in the museum was dim and flash photography was not allowed, but it was clear to me that Marie Antoinette had strawberry blonde hair (my hair color).

If you’re ever in Paris, be sure to spend some time at Musee Carnavalet (lunch at L’Ambriosie 9, Place des Vosges is pricey but quite the fabulous experience).

**If you enjoyed reading this post and would like to learn more about the 18th Century France or Marie Antoinette, please visit my other blog:  Titillating Tidbits About the Life and Times of Marie Antoinette

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheri Herouard ~ La Vie Parisienne

Have Plot, Will Travel

Creepy Château de Chaumont & Catherine's Shady Squad